24 April 2011

Feminism & Food

Feminism truly has application across a smattering of different topics.  Even though I've only really talked about some of the big ones so far (body issues, discrimination, etc.), I hope that you'll all be able to see how much feminism and women's issues affect just about everything in one way or another.

As I was reading a few articles for my sociology class this morning about food and the food movements that are currently sweeping their way across the U.S., this point became extremely clear to me.  One of the authors actually mentioned how second-wave feminism contributed to the increased popularity of pre-prepared or pre-packaged food and suddenly this huge question hit me: how can women contribute to the new food movement without upsetting the already delicate balance of their work and family lives?

For those of you who aren't really sure what's going on in the U.S. concerning food right now, I'll try my best to give you a brief description.  Recently, a lot of attention has been given to the food industry and their methods of production.  Many big businesses (i.e. Tyson, Perdue, etc.) have been buying out small farmers because, due to their quicker and cheaper production methods, are able to make a much bigger profit than small farmers can make.  Another side to the issue is the strict health and safety requirements that agencies like the FDA put on farmers, making it very difficult to comply with these standards with only a small supply of funds.

How can we buy out of the system?  Well, start buying organic and local, and, instead of buying already prepared foods, spending time in the kitchen to make them at home.  This means much more time in the kitchen, which may be difficult, especially for working mothers out there who have spouses who are working as well.  One of the big things about second-wave feminism was getting women out of the house and the kitchen - but the food movement is encouraging the opposite.

So I did a little research about what feminists out there are saying about this issue.  It seems to me that many of them are in agreement - even if it means more work and a tougher time for women, there is not reason why women should not be supporters of the food movement.    If someone thinks a system is flawed, then they should not support it, even though it might mean more work for her.  So, it may mean more time in the kitchen and a bit of a crazier balancing act, but at least she can make a difference.

What happens when two causes seem to oppose one another?  Make a compromise.  Yes, women should be able to make a living the working world and should not be forced to stay at home if they do not want to.  However, if you support the food movement, then you can still do everything you can to make some more time in the kitchen and stay away from pre-made meals.  Sure, it's tough - but women are tough, too (at least I know I am! :) ).

There is certainly room for women's rights in the food movement.  You just have to figure how much you can compromise without compromising everything that the feminist movement has worked for.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to buy local and organic. The problem I face is the cost. As I'm sure you know, being in school means constantly being poor. We just need to keep reminding ourselves that every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - it's so hard to stay local at school. I've sort of reconciled the fact with forcing my mother to buy local - at least when I go home I'm helping out!

    ReplyDelete